This is starting to get old. Fast. I have set the launch date as March 24th which is just over a month away. We are down to the final details, and it is slow going. The engine is fully assembled, however I decided it would be really smart to have the injector pump rebuilt. I was trying to save some money this season and rebuild it next year, but in the long run it just isn’t worth the risk. Removing the injector pump requires setting the engine on the right timing marks and then removing the pump. This way, it is a matter of installing and lining up the pump when it comes back. The challenge is that the timing marks are accessed through a port on the side of the flywheel housing that is right up against the engine stringers. So, I used my handy inspection camera to get things lined up and removed the injector pump.
At some point during the last month, I discovered that my 8D engine start battery had officially died. A quick check of the starter to turn over the engine resulted in a quick death of the battery. No matter, it was on the boat when I bought it so it is the only one that hasn’t been replaced. Dan met me at the boat and we wrestled out the 130lb battery, loaded it in the car and headed off to get a new one. A few hundred dollars later, we headed back to the boat and lugged the replacement battery back into place. A quick check confirmed it was operational and just needed a bit of time on the battery charger to top it off.
One of the other projects that needs to be completed is the installation of a pillow block on the prop shaft. We are right at the upper range of unsupported prop shaft length and I believe that we need an additional bearing on the shaft – so I am installing a pillow block just ahead of the shaft seal. The components have all been fabricated and were test fit in place.
With the fit confirmed, alignment blocks were glued in place to facilitate final installation and the parts were removed. This weekend will be spent fiberglassing the marine plywood shear pads and doing final painting on the metal components. This is a real bear to reach and I have been doing it all through a very small hatch in the floor, with one or both arms almost fully extended. I have bruises and welts all over my arms at the moment.
Over to a bit of fun, I decided to install the brand new hourmeter. No sense using the old one when this one starts at zero to match the new engine.
The final steps for the day were boxing up the injector pump ready for shipment to Vancouver for rebuild. I have a bunch of extra exterior grade plywood, so I build a box for it rather than use cardboard. A quick sand of the exterior to round off the edges and keep anyone from getting slivers – voila, ready to ship.