I didn’t sleep much last night. After all the work we have done getting this project completed, it all came down to today. Will it start? Did I put everything back together correctly? So I woke up early and decided to get out of bed and try to read and relax. I had a mechanic lined up to help me go over the engine, inspect everything and help with the initial start up. He was going to meet me at 9:30, it was 6:30.
Anyways, I managed to get through a very long couple hours and then headed to the boat. The mechanic showed up right on time and we proceeded to go over the engine one system at a time. During the inspection we noticed that the injector pump timing needed to be adjusted, so we got busy on that and 30 minutes later we were ready to start the engine.
Kim showed up just in time, as the mechanic hit the start button and the engine came to life.
After running for about half an hour and doing some spot checks, the mechanic shook my hand, said “Nice job, enjoy your new engine.” and with that he was off. It was actually kind of anticlimactic! Not sure what I was expecting, but there it was running and fully functional.
It was time to move the boat back to her berth, but before that Kim and I took the boat on a slow 5 knot sea trial out of the harbor and back in. Everything ran perfectly, and the new engine and prop bearing made for a smooth running experience.
We got the boat back to her berth, reinstalled the winter cover so we can do a few smaller projects while she is dry and headed for home. I was exhausted and needed a nap!
I am really looking forward to breaking in the new engine and getting ready for our upcoming cruising season. Thank you so much to all those that offered support: Kim, Nichola, Marisa (the family), David Smith, Dan Cumming, David Hilderman, Bert Reinecke, Bob Shuck – and all of those that gave me encouragement through the tough parts. This was a big undertaking.